close
close

Steve Buscemi is doing well after the actor was attacked while walking in New York City

Steve Buscemi is doing well after the actor was attacked while walking in New York City

Steve Buscemi was the victim of an assault in New York City earlier this week, a rep for the actor confirmed.

The “Boardwalk Empire” star was attacked while walking in New York’s Kips Bay neighborhood on Wednesday, Buscemi’s publicist told USA TODAY in an email on Sunday. Buscemi was punched in the face by an unknown person.

“Steve Buscemi was attacked in midtown Manhattan, another victim of random violence in the city,” the representative said. “He’s doing well and appreciates everyone’s well wishes, although he’s incredibly sad for everyone that this happened while at the same time he was walking the streets of (New York).”

During a walk in New York City earlier this week "Boardwalk Empire" Actor Steve Buscemi was attacked when a person punched him in the face.During a walk in New York City earlier this week "Boardwalk Empire" Actor Steve Buscemi was attacked when a person punched him in the face.

While walking in New York City earlier this week, “Boardwalk Empire” actor Steve Buscemi was attacked when a person punched him in the face.

Buscemi’s attacker fled the scene and has not yet been arrested by authorities, police told the New York Post. The actor was reportedly taken to hospital following the attack and treated for “swelling in his face and left eye.”

USA TODAY has reached out to the NYPD for comment.

“It’s still with me”: Steve Buscemi talks about the trauma of volunteering at Ground Zero on September 11th

Steve Buscemi’s co-star Michael Stuhlbarg is also said to have attacked in New York City

Michael Stuhlbarg, who starred alongside Buscemi in the HBO crime series “Boardwalk Empire,” was allegedly the victim of an attack in New York City in late March.

Police responded to an ongoing assault on March 31 after a 55-year-old man was walking near 90th Street and East Drive and “was struck in the head by an unknown object,” the New York City Police Department confirmed in a statement at the time, according to USA TODAY.

Reports from CNN and the New York Times identified the victim as Stuhlbarg.

Michael Stuhlbarg attacked: Actor is attacked with a rock in New York City and appears on Broadway the next day

Authorities said a preliminary investigation revealed that a 27-year-old man, identified as Xavier Israel, threw a rock at Stuhlbarg, hitting him in the neck and causing an abrasion. According to police, the actor then “chased” Israel to 9 East 91st Street, where officers took the alleged attacker into custody. Stuhlbarg “refused medical attention on site,” police also said. Israel was charged with assault.

The incident occurred before Stuhlbarg was scheduled to appear in the Broadway show “Patriots.” The actor took the stage as planned on April 1, just a day after the attack.

Contributor: Brendan Morrow, USA TODAY

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Steve Buscemi is “doing well” after being attacked while walking in New York City.