close
close

Limited development opportunities off the Carolina coast

Limited development opportunities off the Carolina coast

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – The National Hurricane Center has issued a low probability of development for the developing low pressure system off the Carolina coast. This system will bring much-needed rain to our area this weekend.

The probability of development is 10% for the extended low pressure system off the Carolina coast. Environmental conditions appear to be only partially favorable for further development over the next few days before the low pressure system moves inland over the weekend.

The National Hurricane Center has given a 10% probability of hurricane formation for the low pressure area…
The National Hurricane Center has given a 10% probability of the low pressure area forming off the coast of Carolina.(WMBF News)

From Thursday through Saturday, tropical humidity will continue and even increase in the Carolinas. In addition to the high humidity, a weak low pressure system and a stagnant front will help significantly increase the chance of much-needed precipitation.

This low pressure system will bring much needed rainfall through the weekend
This low pressure system will bring much needed rainfall through the weekend(WMBF News)

The greatest chance of rain will be on Friday, when some areas may experience localized heavy rain. Based on the latest data, we are maintaining the chance of rain for Friday at 60%. By Saturday, the chance of thunderstorms will rise again to 40%, but isolated heavy rain is still possible, especially in the afternoon hours.

A low pressure system will bring much-needed rain this weekend
A low pressure system will bring much-needed rain this weekend(WMBF News)